-->

Monday, April 28, 2008

Life Lessons!!!

Whew...it was a busy weekend!

I was honored to be able to help out at our friend Kate's wedding shower on Sat and Kirsten had the prom that same night!

There were LOTS of preparation for both events but this is what has stood out the most from this weekend....

Kirsten had a rather traumatic experience at work the other night. She was closing and the person she was working with DITCHED her and left her to finish up around midnight (even though we have made it QUITE clear that Kirsten is NEVER to be left alone to close up!)Anyway...when the other girl left she did not tell Kirsten that she locked the door. So when Kirsten took the trash out.... ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END OF THE COMPLEX....IN THE DARK....she got locked out of the shop!

The alarms weren't set, some of the lights were still on and all of her belongings....including her phone, jacket and her car keys were INSIDE the shop. I realized about 12:30 that she had not called to tell us she was leaving and started calling both her cell phone AND the shop phone. She managed to catch the VERY last person leaving the parking lot just as he was driving away. Luckily she knew him and he let her use his cell phone and gave her his coat because it was freezing.....for which we are very grateful....and she called us JUST as Jeff was getting ready to go find her.

Kirsten never cries and she was just SOBBING on the phone and Jeff rushed right over to get her. She couldn't even call they manager or anyone because all of the numbers were in her phone...in the shop!!

When they got home. Kirsten came up and sat on the bed while I rocked her...which she also never does. She cried and said..."I could hear my phone ringing through the door Mom and I KNEW it was you trying to find me."


She has made such a big deal about being an adult recently....I think it was a good lesson for her to realized that she ISN'T quite grown up yet....and that we all need help on occasion.

Yesterday she once again, jokingly, launched into her "I'm an adult now" speech...and as she continued talking she kind of trailed off into....."except when I lock myself out of the shop and dad has to come get me...." and she just smiled.

For some reason....as I relayed this story to a friend of mine.....I was struck that there is a spiritual lesson here for ALL of us. No matter what our age.

I can't quite put my finger on it and the words aren't coming together as I would like but it goes something like this......

1. We all need help sometimes and we should never be embarrassed because me might need a helping hand.

AND...

2. More importantly..... In the dark, cold night....when we need him....our Heavenly Father heeds our call for help....and then will hold us in his arms and comfort us....IF WE ALLOW HIM!!! No matter how old we think we are.

The picture of our heavenly father acting not only as our "rescuer" but also as our "comforter" is also a wonderful example of the physical relationship between a man and wife as we serve our children together.

I love you Kirsten. You are a blessing to your father and I and we are so grateful that we were able to serve you in your time of need. We understand that you would rather not have had to ask for help. You want to do things on your own. We all do! Needing help doesn't mean that you aren't an adult...it just means that you are human. You have been a wonderful help this past year and have never hesitated to step up and serve your family in any way necessary.

And thanks for understanding that your mother has an uncontrollable need to share your life with our friends and family!!!

No comments: